When setting up the wireless network in an apartment, you should use the best router for apartment building as it will provide you the best service with a higher power. Your ISP may suggest you some random routers that people generally use, it might not be good enough to provide ceaseless connection. A simple router may be good enough for a small flat and for one to two devices.
However, when it comes to an apartment router, you need to consider the apartment size, things inside it, and people using the internet for their devices. For a large apartment and few people, a common router cannot provide the power and speed you need to ensure an effective connection. Stick to the article to the end to find out the right one for your apartment.
Do I need a router in an apartment?
I believe, yes, you need a router in an apartment if you want to get consistent and reliable speed all the time. Every apartment has its own challenges and obstacles for network speed. Due to these challenges, you don’t get the speed you pay for every month.
Also, your neighbors clutter the network channels that reduce the speed as well. To get the maximum consistent speed, an apartment router is a must. Besides, when you have multiple devices, getting connected with the wire is somehow clumsy and hassle. A wireless apartment router can connect multiple devices without wire. So for overall convenient and ceaseless speed and connection, you need a router in an apartment.
Table of Content:
- 5 best router for apartment building Reviews 2020
- Best Place To Put A Router In Your Apartment For Best Wi-Fi Coverage
5 best router for apartment building Reviews 2020
The demand for a good router is high as always. However, it is not a cup of tea for everyone to choose the right one for his apartment as the market is now flooded with so many brands and models. So here are some suggestions for you.
1. GRYPHON – Advance Mesh Wi-Fi Router
If you are after the best mesh Wi-Fi router for long range, then the GRYPHON can be a good choice with its latest Wireless Mesh Technology. With this technology and 6 high-powered internal antennas, the router can cover up to 3000 sq ft of the wall to wall without any buffering. Also, it offers 3Gbps overall speed throughput of its Smart network.
You will have separate guest Wi-Fi for your guest so that anyone but you know your password to ensure security. With its ESET technology, this router blocks ransomware, and malware. It can be the best wireless router for apartment as it features Intelligent Intrusion to protect your privacy even when you are in sleep. Moreover, it ensures regular security updates to scan vulnerabilities.
An app comes with the router that lets you manage parental control. With this app, you can easily create multiple users, block adult sites, and check browser history even if someone uses incognito mode. Besides, you can limit screen time and allow your kids to use the internet for a specific time so that they can focus on study and other things. Even you can hide inappropriate results on YouTube as well.
- The router has Mesh Technology that offers coverage up to 3000 square feet through an apartment wall.
- It comes with 6 high-powered internal antennas to deliver high-speed Wi-Fi connection.
- The ESET technology protects your devices from different virus attacks and malware.
- Regular security updates are available with its Intelligent Intrusion to protect your privacy all the time.
- Its app lets you manage the router to provide a safe and healthier internet experience for your kids.
2. NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router
The Netgear nighthawk smart Wi-Fi router r7000 is a great example of the best router for apartment building. It comes with a dual-band facility that minimizes interference and provides up to 1800 square feet wireless coverage. You will get AC1900 speed to browse the website, watch streaming, and surfing online without any buffering.
It features Netgear Armor multi-layer security that secures your connected devices from hackers and malware to protect your data. It can be the best wireless router for apartment building with its advanced Beamforming+ technology that provides direct signals through the wall with its 3 amplified antennas. Besides, it supports Amazon Alexa Voice Controls to make it more convenient to use.
This NetGear nighthawk smart Wi-Fi router offers Smart parental controls. You can prevent internet access to a device, view site history usage, and filter any adult websites for free. Even you can allow your guest to use Wi-Fi without sharing the password. A Nighthawk App is there to make it a snap to set up your router.
NETGEAR Nighthawk Features:
- The router comes with a dual-band facility to provide two signals simultaneously for a better signal.
- You have Beamforming+ technology that delivers a direct signal to provide 1900mbps internet speed for hassle-free connection.
- It has 3 amplified antennas that enhance the signal and can cover up 1800 square feet in your apartment.
- The Netgear Armor multi-layer security along with WPA2 wireless security ensures maximum security of your valuable data and protects your devices from hackers.
- Its parental control lets you control the net connection of your kids to let them focus on study and other important tasks.
3. Linksys EA7500 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router
If you are looking for the best dual band Wi-Fi router for home, then you can consider this Linksys EA7500 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router. This dual-band router delivers a higher speed of up to 1.9 Gbps. At the same time, it offers coverage up to 1,500 sq. ft. You can use 15+ wireless devices with this router to enjoy 4K HD streaming, browsing, and more without buffering.
It comes with Mu Mimo technology that provides the same high Wi-Fi speed to all the devices at once which makes it a good router for home use. Besides, with its Beamforming technology, you can strengthen the Wi-Fi signal to any specific device to enjoy an even better working environment. Also, it avoids signal scattering as well.
You can connect an external storage device with its USB 3.0 port that makes the transfer of files faster than others. Installing the router was never that easy with its Linksys App that offers a simple setup. So overall, if you need a high-speed connection for your apartment, this one can be a good choice.
Linksys EA7500 Features:
- The router offers dual-band technology for two simultaneous wireless signals that ensure a fast speed connection of 1.9 Gbps with up to 1,500 sq. ft Wi-Fi coverage.
- It has Mu Mimo technology that offers even net speed with 15 devices for buffering free internet experience.
- You can easily strengthen the connection speed in a specific device with its Beamforming technology.
- It features a USB 3.0 port that you can use to connect storage or printing devices with a higher speed.
- Installing and running the router is easier and faster with the official Linksys App.
4. TP-Link Wi-Fi Router
TP-Link is a popular name in the router industry. This A7 smart router can be the best dual band wireless router with its 1750 Mbps high-speed internet. It can cover up to 2,500 Sq. Ft. with its 3 high powerful external antennas. As a result, you will get a buffering free internet experience that is suitable for 4K streaming.
Besides, it can provide smooth speed to multiple devices with its powerful CPU for high-speed processing. With its solid construction and advanced technology, you can use this router for a long time. This router comes with 4 Gigabit LAN ports so that you connect multiple storage devices with wire.
Also, you have advanced WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption that ensures maximum security to your credential data. This router lets you control your kids’ online activities. You can even give your guest the guest access without sharing the password that makes it a good wireless router for home use. It works with Alexa and supports all Wi-Fi devices.
TP-Link Wi-Fi Features:
- The router offers 2,500 Sq. Ft Wi-Fi coverage with its 3 high powerful external antennas.
- You have an advanced CPU for high-speed processing that offers dual-band 1750 Mbps high-speed internet for buffering free user experience.
- It has the ability to cover up to 50 wireless devices and wired devices with its 4 Gigabit LAN in your apartment.
- You can prevent malware and unauthorized hackers with its highly advanced WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption.
- It offers parental control to prevent your kids from doing anything unexpected on the internet.
5. ASUS Dual-Band Super-Fast Router
This ASUS dual-brand router is another example of the best Wi-Fi router for an apartment. This super fast Wi-Fi router comes with dual-band technology and 4 external 5dBi antennas. As a result, it enhances Wi-Fi range and multi-device performance and you get up to 1267 Mbps for your devices. It also allows you to use all of your devices at the same speed with the latest 2×2 MU MIMO technology.
The router delivers superior performance all the time by automatically switching devices between 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. It offers advanced encryption WPA2 PSK, WPA Enterprise, WPS support, and others that ensure the maximum security of your data. Also, it prevents hackers and malware from attacking your device.
You can easily manage your network without any hassle from your mobile device with its ASUS Router App. Installing the router is not an issue as well with the ASUSWRT app. It features a USB 3.0 port so that you can add external devices with your network and enjoy an amazing experience.
ASUS Dual-Band Features:
- The router ensures reliable coverage throughout 4 external 5dBi antennas with up to 1267 Mbps for your devices.
- It has the latest 2×2 MU MIMO technology that distributes the net speed evenly throughout all of your devices.
- The router switches devices between 2.4 and 5 GHz bands for higher speed and stable performance for your apartment.
- Advanced security encryption prevents unwanted hacker attacks and malware attacks to keep your device and data safe.
- You have ASUSWRT app through which you can install, manage, and control the internet access from anywhere you want.
Best Place To Put A Router In Your Apartment For Best Wi-Fi Coverage
To get the highest speed, it is important you place the router in the right position. If you cannot place it in the right position, chances are high that you will not get proper coverage. So here are the tips for you.
Place it in the center position
The router works centrally meaning that it sends signals in a circular wave. You will get signals around the router. If you place the router in a corner of the apartment, you will surely get the fastest speed near the router, however, it will not serve the entire apartment. So make sure you place it in the center position so that it can serve the entire apartment at a higher speed.
Keep it away from the microwave
The microwave works with waves. When you place the router near the microwave, the wave emits from the microwave can intercept the wave emits from the router. As a result, your signal coverage may get slower. So you should place the router away from the microwave if you want an uninterrupted signal in your apartment.
Try to place in a higher position
You may know that radio waves spread downward. That means when you place the router in a higher position, it spreads the signals down through the apartment. If you place it the same height as your device or down to your device, it may weaken the signal. So if you want to get proper coverage, you have to install the router in a higher position.
Avoid metal object
Metal objects can interfere with the radio signal as well. When the router sends a signal to the device, it will get interrupted when it will go through a metal object. It can be a metal almery or a metal wardrobe. That means it will be better if you keep your router away from any metal objects.
Keep it away from brick or concrete wall
Similar to metal objects, brick or concrete wall works as a barrier to the Wi-Fi signal. Wi-Fi waves cannot pass through the brick or concrete wall so easily. As a result, it gets weaker as it passes through the walls of your apartment. So try to keep the router in such a position where the walls will not be a barrier for the signals.
Frequently asked questions
The best way to buy the best product is to know more about the product. Have a look at the questions below to know more about the router for your apartment.
Do I need both a modem and a router?
You will need a modem only when you need to connect a direct connection from the ISP. On the other hand, if you want to connect multiple devices in your apartment, you will need the router only. There is no need to buy a modem and a router at the same time.
Do Wi-Fi extenders work in apartments?
Yes, if you have a weaker Wi-Fi signal in your apartment, you can use an extender and it will work for sure. However, if you can have a good router, there is no need to use an extender at all.
Can I use a portable hotspot as a Wi-Fi router for the internet in my apartment?
Yes, it is very much possible to use a portable hotspot in your apartment to use as a Wi-Fi router. However, you will not get that much coverage and speed as a good wireless router.
A router is a vital access point for your apartment network. It provides you consistent speed and ceaseless communication. With a good one, you can ensure maximum access to the information, improve mobility, and get the highest convenience. At the same time, a good router will provide a strong signal throughout the walls of your apartment.
If you haven’t decided yet and ask for my suggestion about the best router for apartment building, I will go for the Netgear nighthawk smart Wi-Fi router. It offers a dual-band facility with 1800 square feet coverage and AC1900 speed. Also, you have Netgear Armor multi-layer security, advanced Beamforming+ technology, and Smart parental controls. A Nighthawk App is also there. So overall, this one will be suitable for your apartment.