A VPN router is only the best way to encrypt your data as well as protecting your information from hackers. In addition to that, it offers protection on each device on the network. With this router, you don’t have to install the software on each one. With VPN routers, your data is kept safe at all times with private features.
The best VPN router for home protects multiple devices without having to buy additional device slots. Keeping your home protected should be your number one priority always, and this can be achieved by installing a VPN router. All your internet activities will be kept protected by a VPN router, for it changes your real IP address to anonymous users.
Do Vpn Routers Work?
VPN routers work by protecting your home Wi-Fi network by keeping all your information private and secure. With a VPN router, your browsing experience will be personal because your data will be encrypted. It also works by keeping your private information from hackers as well as enabling your regional internet restrictions. With a VPN router, you can connect every device you have to your private network through your Wi-Fi connection.
Table Of Content:
- 7 Best Vpn Router For Home Reviews 2020
- 1. Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router (LRT224)
- 2. Cisco RV340 VPN Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Ports plus Dual WAN
- 3. TRENDnet AC3000 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN SMB Router
- 4. Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router (RV325K9NA)
- 5. Linksys LRT214 Gigabit VPN Router
- 6. TP-Link Safestream Multi WAN VPN Router
- 7. CISCO SYSTEMS RV215W Wireless-N VPN Router (RV215WAK9NA)
- What To Consider Before Buying A Vpn Router For Home?
Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router (LRT224)
Cisco RV340 VPN Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Ports plus Dual WAN
TRENDnet AC3000 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN SMB Router
Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router (RV325K9NA)
Linksys LRT214 Gigabit VPN Router
TP-Link Safestream Multi WAN VPN Router
CISCO SYSTEMS RV215W Wireless-N VPN Router (RV215WAK9NA)
7 Best Vpn Router For Home Reviews 2020
A VPN router is the number one way of offering protection to all of your online information. If your data is left unprotected, then it can land on the wrong hands, making you lose so much. That is why you need to have the best VPN router for your home to keep your private data protected at all times. In this review, we will look into the seven best VPN routers available in the market to help you choose the best.
1. Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router (LRT224)
If you are keen on having a secure network at all times, then you need to go for the Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router. It offers security by having an integrated firewall, OpenVPN support, as well as Gigabit Ethernet ports. With this Gigabit VPN Router, you get five OpenVPN tunnels meant for easy access from both Android and iOS devices. This is in addition to up to 50 IPsec tunnels essential for site-to-site plus client-to-client VPN.
You can have a better and fast performance with dual-WAN load balancing, which goes a long way in widening Internet bandwidth. With the VLAN tagging feature, your network keeps running smoothly without any hitches. Business owners can simply install and manage this VPN router without needing a professional, making this the best VPN router for small business. This VPN router also comes with a lot of features ideal for a wide range of small businesses.
This Gigabit VPN Router provides efficient data transfers and faster downloads due to its dual-WAN load balancing feature. With the Dual-WAN, you achieve higher Internet bandwidth than using a single WAN connection. This BPN router also supports load balancing, which comes with WAN failover that works to provide reliable Internet connectivity of 900 Mbps.
Linksys Business Dual Features:
- This VPN Router comes with OpenVPN support, an integrated firewall, and Gigabit Ethernet that provide a reliable and secure network.
- With the dual-WAN load balancing on this VPN router, you get to enjoy fast internet performance.
- It also comes with the VLAN tagging feature that ensures that your network keeps running smoothly.
- Linksys Business router that comes with an intuitive web administrative interface that enables business owners to install and manage easily.
- The Gigabit VPN Router features up to 50 IPsec tunnels that come with 5 OpenVPN tunnels ideal for those who use Android and iOS.
2. Cisco RV340 VPN Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) Ports plus Dual WAN
Small businesses are generally exposed to online threats that can take down the business if not looked into keenly. The Cisco RV340 VPN Router comes in as the best VPN firewall router for small business offering firewall protection. This comes with high-speed Internet access that goes a long way in protecting your business from any online threat.
The Cisco RV340 VPN Router comes with an integrated 4-port Gigabit Ethernet switch that allows you to connect all of your wired devices. With the Supports Dual WAN Ethernet, you get to enjoy numerous Internet connection paramount for load balancing as well as failover. The separate virtual local area networks (VLAN) give you a chance to allow you to set up a highly secure wireless network for guest access.
With this VPN router, you can have your internet access running fast using the intuitive user interface. You will also get to enjoy dynamic web filtering that not only highly improves business efficiency, but it also acts as security for your network. It also offers VPN functionality that secures interconnectivity that is perfectly ideal for remote access through mobile devices.
Cisco RV340 VPN Features:
- The Cisco RV340 features an integrated 4-port Gigabit Ethernet switch, which allows you to connect your wired devices easily.
- This VPN router comes with Supports Dual WAN Ethernet that permits multiple Internet connections ideal for load balancing plus failover.
- It also features separate virtual local area networks (VLAN) that give you a chance to set up highly secure wireless network perfect for guest access.
- This is a router that comes with VPN functionality excellent for highly secure interconnectivity.
- It delivers web filtering feature that significantly improves business competence while also offering security for your home network.
3. TRENDnet AC3000 Tri-Band Wireless Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN SMB Router
The TRENDnet AC3000 Tri-Band router is the best Wi-Fi VPN router with cutting-edge management with PPTP, QoS, IEEE 802, 1Q inter-VLAN routing, among other capabilities. It creates a pre-encrypted VPN tunnel enabling you to reach local area network resources using SSL VPN protocols. With this VPN router, you end up connecting two distinct WAN internet connections ideal for load-balance traffic.
Apart from offering balanced network traffic, this wireless VPN router delivers remarkable performance with three concurrent Wi-Fi bands. They work to maximize networking speeds by using 802. 11ac networks that go up to 1733Mbps (5GHz1), 867Mbps (5GHz2), and 400Mbps (2. 4GHz) bands. The Inter-VLAN Routing is best in providing and delivering routing capabilities between VLANs having 2 x Gigabit WAN ports.
With the Online Firmware Updates on this router, you get automatic notification of firmware updates. The Dual-WAN ports ensure efficient network loading as well as reducing network downtime. This is an exceptional business router which not only increases efficiency but also reduces unwanted distractions
TRENDnet AC3000 Tri-Band Features:
- This Tri-Band wireless router comes with advanced management having IEEE 802. 1Q inter-VLAN routing, QoS, L2TP w/IPsec VPN support, SSL, among other capabilities for exceptional performance.
- The TRENDnet AC3000 features dual-WAN ports essential for load balancing and smooth network loading.
- It comes with an encrypted VPN tunnel that creates access to local area network resources using remote SSL VPN protocols.
- This Gigabit router features three concurrent Wi-Fi bands that increase device networking speeds.
- The Dual-Wan option featured on this router enables you to connect separate WAN internet connections that ensure load-balance traffic.
4. Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router (RV325K9NA)
The outstanding performance of the Cisco Systems Gigabit router makes it easy to handle large files. With this Dual Gigabit Ethernet WAN port router, you get access to load balancing that ensure business continuity. You get to enjoy high secure network access through connecting to numerous locations using a VPN.
This is an affordable VPN router which is perfect for companies that are on a tight budget yet require secure and reliable network access. It also comes with flexible USB ports that use 3G and 4G modems aimed at broadband failover. With this VPN router, you get to have a connection to multiple locations and using VPN remotely.
With SSL and IP Security VPN capabilities, you get to enjoy high-performance network access with high capacity. Having the Cisco Router keeps you connected at all times, for it supports 10 SSL VPN tunnels that way do not need to use specified client software that accesses the VPN.
Cisco Systems Gigabit Features:
- The Cisco Port Router comes with a Dual Gigabit Ethernet WAN ports that allows you enjoy load balancing.
- This is a high capacity, VPN 14 Port Router, with exceptional SSL performance having IP Security VPN capabilities.
- With this VPN router, you can manage and handle large files quickly and in a secure manner.
- It is easy to connect with the Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router using multiple locations.
- A VPN router that comes with an intuitive, browser-based device manager that enables a wizard’s setup.
5. Linksys LRT214 Gigabit VPN Router
The Linksys LRT214 Gigabit VPN Router is exceptional, having an integrated Firewall that ensures maximum security. With this router, your network stays protected with the inbuilt firewall, which also comes with URL filtering. You can also regulate the traffic in your network by using UDP Internet protocols.
This VPN router also comes with Gigabit Ethernet ports with a combination of remote-access VPN capabilities for secure network connection. Apart from that, it also delivers up to 50 IPsec tunnels with 5 OpenVPN tunnels explicitly meant for Android and iOS device users. A web-based interface designed on the LRT214 VPN router makes it easy to set up and use.
For enhanced security, this best value VPN router features OpenVPN Access Server support that permits users to run OpenVPN clients on multiple devices. You can regulate traffic network using the VLAN Tagging to Route Network Traffic option. You will also get to enjoy inter-VLAN routing that provides users with remarkable flexibility.
Linksys LRT214 Features:
- The Linksys VPN Router features OpenVPN Access Server support that permits users to run OpenVPN on multiple devices for quick network access.
- This VPN Router comes with Gigabit Ethernet ports that allow remote-access VPN capabilities in one device.
- With this model, you find up to 50 IPsec tunnels featuring 5 OpenVPN tunnels ideal for Android and iOS devices.
- An LRT214 Gigabit VPN Router with an integrated firewall that allows users to control network traffic.
- This router also features intuitive Web Interface ideal for an easy and secure operation that ensures quick setup.
6. TP-Link Safestream Multi WAN VPN Router
The TP-Link VPN Router features 1 Gigabit Ethernet connections each of LAN and WAN ports, but both offer assured high-speed wired internet connectivity. Besides, this router integrates numerous VPN protocols that come with well-performing and secure VPN capabilities. Also, the IP/MAC/Domain and DoS defense filter anything that can prevent protection to your network.
This cost-effective Multi-WAN VPN Router is the best VPN router for streaming that delivers reliable VPN solutions. It supports PPTP VPN and IPsec protocols that can permit IPsec/PPTP/L2TP that can break through traffic as well. What you will also love about this VPN router is its inbuilt hardware-based VPN engine that permits the router to manage and handle 16 PPTP as well as up to 20 LAN-to-LAN IPsec VPN connections.
Any external threats are taken care of by this TP-Link VPN Router using the SPI Firewall function. For defense, it provides exceptional 4KV lightning protection that keeps your entire investment safe and secure. This kind of protection is paramount for networking infrastructure that ensure safety always.
TP-Link Safestream Features:
- The TP-Link has Gigabit Ethernet connections on LAN and WAN ports that ensure excellent speed wired connectivity.
- It features integrates multiple VPN protocols that come with remarkable security and exceptional performance VPN capabilities.
- A TP-Link with advanced security strategies like DoS Defense, IP MAC Binding, and SPI Firewall that offer protection to your network from any attacks.
- The Multi-WAN VPN Router comes with an inbuilt hardware-based VPN engine that allows the router to handle 16 PPTP VPN connections.
- The lightning protection technology on this VPN router averts lighting electrical surges that can damage your network.
7. CISCO SYSTEMS RV215W Wireless-N VPN Router (RV215WAK9NA)
A 4-port 10/100 Mbps fast Ethernet WAN port is featured on the Cisco RV215W VPN Router for high-speed internet connectivity. This wireless- N VPN Router comes with a firewall that provides affordable high-security connectivity making it the best budget VPN router. With the high speed of this router, you get to enjoy 802.11N Wireless Access Point.
What is notable about this VPN Router is its USB port that is ideal for 3G and 4G WAN connectivity, which is perfect for remote use. It comes with a 4-port 10/100 Mbps fast Ethernet switch, which offers high performance. The intuitive browser-based device manager feature availed on this VPN router creates security consciousness to every user.
The Cisco RV215W Wireless-N VPN Router comes with external antennas located at the back meant to improve wireless networking. You will also find a reset button on the back panel that reboots the VPN router when need be. This is the ideal VPN router offering high security that is also affordable.
CISCO SYSTEMS RV215W Features:
- This VPN router comes with an 802.11N wireless router that has high-speed that ensures that no buffering occurs.
- For better and excellent internet connectivity, this VPN router features a 4-port 10/100 Mbps fast Ethernet WAN switch.
- It also comes with an intuitive browser-based device manager feature ideal for connectivity for remote users.
- The Cisco RV215W Wireless VPN Router permits security to small businesses using wireless networking.
- A VPN Router that has a USB port that is quite vital for both 3G and 4G WAN connectivity.
What To Consider Before Buying A Vpn Router For Home?
A VPN router is quite beneficial if you want to keep your home devices safe and secure. There are several VPN routers available on the market today that come with different features hence the task of selecting the best one can be quite daunting. However, this buying guide will help you choose the best VPN router for home as it will reveal the paramount factors to look into before purchasing one.
An excellent VPN router is one that enables you to browse and downloading everything you need without buffering. A VPN router that tends to slow down every now and that is not of great benefit. Therefore, you must choose a VPN router that delivers fast speeds for high performance. In many cases, the VPN router speed depends on the specific internet connection with the best speeds ranging from 300 Mbps to 1900 Mbps.
You must opt for a VPN router whose general processing will not strain your computing power, which ends up slowing down your entire network. The VPN router you choose should be able to manage and handle various jobs meaning it should have a fast CPU. As such, then you will never end up experiencing a performance breakdown.
Where your VPN router will be positioned is quite critical; that is why it should be located in a central position. With this router, you will not end up running into dead spots if you use a VPN router whose signal can be reached. The range will be significantly determined by using heat map software that enables you to enlarge your wireless coverage.
Essentially, going for an expensive router means you get a better range meaning the signal will reach even the farthest corners. However, this does not mean that getting an affordable router won’t work better because it will. You must look into the cost of the VPN router that you end up choosing because it will be within your budget.
There are two options in the market in a VPN router, which can either be a single-band or a dual-band router. Honestly, single-band routers are a thing of the past; that is why you should go for a dual-band router that enhances fast wireless speeds; that is why you should always go for dual-band or more. This means your VPN router will broadcast wireless signals on two frequencies or more.
Why Should You Buy A Vpn Router For Home?
Several advantages should make you buy a VPN router for home. Some of them include:
- Having a VPN router enables you to enjoy a secure network at all times. This means all the devices you have are not vulnerable to hacking.
- A good VPN router enables you to save money because you end up connecting multiple devices at once. As such, you will not have to install different apps on your devices.
- With a VPN router, you get to unblock every site you have once you connect to browse the internet.
- A VPN router allows you to enjoy high speeds of connection, making you enjoy streaming without buffering.
- Having a VPN router permits you to enjoy unlimited internet while accessing it remotely.
These are some of the advantages of having a VPN router for home. You can now choose to buy the perfect VPN router from our review on the best VPN router for home.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a special router for VPN?
You do not need a particular router for a VPN as long as you choose a VPN router with the ability to connect to a VPN.
- Should I use a VPN on my home network?
Using a VPN on your home network is critical for protecting your privacy as well as allowing you to access online streaming content.
- Do I need a VPN service if I have a VPN router?
If you have a VPN router, you may need to have a VPN service, but it is not a necessity.
- Does a VPN protect your router?
A VPN protects your router by keeping all your devices protected at all times.
- How do I know if my router supports VPN?
This is determined by checking on the router’s manual, which shows in detail if your router is supported by a VPN or not.
Wireless internet has become part and parcel of our modern lives hence the need to have a VPN router. Using a VPN router ensures that you enjoy not only fast internet access but also secure browsing. The best VPN router for home protects your privacy anytime you are on the internet because without that, your data may be hacked into.
My best recommendation is the Linksys Business Dual WAN Gigabit VPN Router (LRT224) that offers a secure and safe network always. This best VPN router for home ensures your network keeps on running without slowing down. It also comes with OpenVPN tunnels that give access to Android and iOS devices.